Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Varkala

This is a Keralan performer in a temple festival that went right down the street in front of my hotel..all parts are played by men (easy to tell!) Quite the sight as they all danced and drummed down the street.

The expression shows how I felt as well as I missed my train stop in  Varkala as I was busy wrestling my backpack down from the rack. I had to ride an hour more to Trivandrum, buy another ticket ($1.00) and come back to Varkala. It was midnight at this time and as I dragged my backpack around to try to find a ladies car on the train back I thought of how to describe the smell of the train station...it is like the worst breath you have ever experienced, plus a warm rotting smell rounded out by the odor of old pee. I was not a happy camper but stayed as cool as possible and eventually made it to my destination...Mummy's Bamboo House...pictures to follow.

1 comment: